Hommus is easily one of the most versatile condiments around! It makes a great spread on a salad sandwich or wrap, a good side with bbq and salads, a yummy dip with crackers or healthy snack with celery and carrot...the options are endless! The best part is that it's easy and affordable to make yourself - so you know exactly what's going in it and can mix it up and get experimental with it.
The key thing to a good smooth and creamy hommus is the order in which you add your ingredients and skinning your chickpeas. So remember that as you follow this recipe!
- 1 x 600g canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
1. In a food process, combine the tahini paste and lemon juice, allowing it to mix for a few minutes until you have a thicker paste.
2. Add in the chickpeas (skinned if you want a smoother hommus), garlic, olive oil, cumin & paprika. Run the food processer until the ingredients are all combined well, without any large chunks.
3. Once it is all combined, you can thin out your hommus by adding a little of the water, mixing and repeating until you're happy with the consistency.
4. Serve it up in a bowl with a splash of olive oil, paprika and parsley sprinkled on top. Enjoy with toasted turkish bread!